My dear friend Jim -
Thank you for giving me the friendship and opportunity for life. Little did I know when Rich and Tony recruited me for a Dewey Beach House, that you would enter my life and have such influence on its course.
You invited me to join the Abington Y team where I worked with and learned from some of the finest volunteers I have ever known and where I saw the respectful, fun and effective partnership you shared with them. You held onto your passion for youth development as you encouraged the growth of programs for kids and teens throughout the community. I have met friends of yours from Ys in Russia and around the world who smile then give a great, warm laugh when we figure out we both know Jim Sheldon. I even met a guy here in Cincinnati who, with his siblings, grew up on your Silver Spring Swim Team. He too shared that same smile and joy to discover we both knew Jim Sheldon.
I saw the joy and love in your eyes when you tickled your kids, and watched them run and grow into the adults you would love even more. Whether digging a new garden or fixing a new space, you were always engineering and designing with deep love and fine aesthetics. Your heart belongs to Kay but I have always been grateful you shared some fast jitterbugs with me - even if our enthusiasm sometimes landed us on our tails.
Jim - You gave caring advice and counsel to nourish so many of our leadership journeys and when we were ready, you let so many of us fly yet never said good-bye. You cherish and keep friendships. It always feels like we sat just yesterday when we reconnect after months.
Jim - I'm sitting with you this morning. Though far away, you are in my heart and always will be because, you see, you are a friend for a lifetime. I love ya man - all sweaty bandanna, knee brace wearing, volleyball teaching, mellon ball making, mechanical pencil using, always making it work better, welcoming to all - parts of you.
God's Peace, dear friend. You will be with me always.
Love,Sandy
No comments:
Post a Comment