Saturday, June 4, 2011

I am so sad to hear about Jim's passing.  He was an incredible man that made a huge difference in the lives of so many.  I am sorry to say that I will be leaving town for a month- long work assignment starting on Wednesday and will have to miss the memorial service.  I would love to honor Jim and the legacy he has left in Abington, and I, of course, support anything ACT wants to do to honor Jim or care for his family.

The Teen Council and Teen Forum exist in large part to Jim's vision.  Just this week several kids said that Teen Council was their favorite high school activity because it gave them a sense of value and community.  Jim was one of the first people to fully invest in the Teen Council.  The community and sense of value the kids experienced were part of Jim's original vision for this group.  The structure that currently exists and which allows kids to have such great ownership of the group was Jim's original dream and creation.  Without him, these kids may not have had the opportunity to have the experiences that meant so much to them.  I know that I personally would not be involved today had it not been for Jim.  I consider it an honor to have known him.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this time.  If it is appropriate, please pass along my admiration for Jim and my sincere sadness over his passing to his family. 
--
Katie Gorbey
Area Director
Young Life Montgomery County

No comments:

Post a Comment