I worked for your Dad from 1974-79. My partner Kate and I spent lots of time with you, Kelley, and Dale. I was the Director of the Sunshine Outreach Center at the Silver Spring Y and Kate was the Education Director for Metro Planned Parenthood in DC. We were introduced (as a couple) by Gary and Bonnie Graham (Gary was at the Bethesda Y also as an Outreach Director at the time.) I thought your mother, Dale was beautiful and amazing. We had some great times together as couples.
So, my understanding is that Jim has hospice care and is close to saying goodbye, I hope that’s not accurate, but am assuming you are in the process of losing your father.
He was an interesting and genuine/authentic man to me Tara. What that means to me is that I could count on him to be real and tell the truth. I didn’t always agree with his views or approach to things..but I loved that he would sit back and listen..and consider..and be a real. First image that comes to mind: me sitting in his office, debating different things..like what’s the best way of involving the Y with juvenile justice diversion strategies, and what to do about the county government funding, and why does the Physical Ed department need to subsidize the outreach department? He’d lay back in his chair, look up, and toss sharpened pencils, end over end, sticking them perfectly in the ceiling. I thought that was cool even though sometimes he’d say no way to my proposal. But I’m serious, he would flip those pencils into the ceiling tile all the time..after awhile, his ceiling looked like the target of a 12-gauge rifle range.
Kate and I remember watching the French Open or some tennis match on your patio, Jim had (of course) brought out the TV, and in addition, was building something..he always seemed to be building something which was amazing to me given how busy he was.
He’s too young to go through this Tara, but as unfair as it is, you have my word that your Dad has done amazing things; support for people who are hurting, belief in the underdogs of the world; principles that value and underscore that everyone is equal; and a genuineness that was admired by a great many people.
Love to you Kelley and Dale,
Steve Goggin
Kate Potteiger
No comments:
Post a Comment