One time Jim and I were traveling to a meeting from Abington to Center City and while driving through North Philadelphia- out of the blue (at least to me) he pulls in a 7-11 and up to a homeless person. He then gets out of his car and goes in and buys the guy some food. I was dumbfounded. Afterwards, I don't even remember us talking about it- we just went off to our meeting. Pay it forward- this is just who Jim was.
So, it was fitting when I pulled into my neighborhood in Connecticut at 12:30 am after visiting Jim in the hospital on Thursday that I came upon a pickup truck on the side of the dark road. Without street lights it was hard to see, but there was a young man standing by his truck. As it turns out, he was looking for an open gas station in rural CT and finding none had run out of gas. At this late hour he could not reach any of his family or friends by phone. Of course, I agreed to help him. I drove home, grabbed by gas can, gave the young guy some gas and sent him off in the right direction. Jim, you're with me everyday. Thanks for the gift!
No comments:
Post a Comment