Monday, May 16, 2011

find a way to make it happen

I've been involved with the Ab. Y for about 30 years - just after Jim became Director.  Both as a volunteer and a board member.  I first came on-board when my daughter and I joined Indian Princesses and then with my son for Indian Guides.  When my son was out of the program, I was asked to help run the program since nobody stepped forward ( I'm sorry, I don't remember name the Child Care Director- Princess Little Moccasins). I reluctantly said yes and stayed for the next 25 years.  

Jim dubed me "Big Chief" right away and would greet me that way ever since. It caught on to the extent that many employees at the Y also called me Big Chief. In fact, some of the Board members still do. Jim is a VERY big proponent of the Guides programs and helped me as much as possible.  When I was told, by who ever was child care director, that the Y did not have funds for something we needed, Jim found a way to make it happen.

Because of Jim and his energy for the Guides Programs, I have read many books about the American Indians. This gave me the impetuous to go into every elementary school in Abington and several in Philla. to teach about our Native Americans, on a voluntary basis.  I can't thank Jim enough for the many hours I've spent with young kids teaching them this part of our history.
    Jim, get well soon.  The world needs you.
                                      With great respect and admiration
                                                     Mike Wiener   aka:  Great Bear Claw

No comments:

Post a Comment