Monday, May 16, 2011

My Dad Taught Me That

Before students participating in one of our Intergenerational Programs begin interacting with our frail seniors we have an introductory discussion. There are several goals for the introductory talk. We want the students to know what to expect when interacting with very frail elderly people, we want to talk about differences and likenesses between young and old, we want to give them a chance to ask questions and we want to talk about what community service means to them. When we come to the part about community service my Dad always comes to my mind. That is the part of the conversation when I ask the students what community service means to them and I tell them what it means to me. I tell the students that I was taught that it is the duty of anyone who has more to help anyone who has less. Having more could mean strength, it could mean wealth, it could mean health, it could mean anything. If someone has no voice and you do, you speak for them. If someone has no strength and you do, you lift them. If someone like the frail seniors the students are going to visit are sick and lonely, have no strength, or family to care for them then we will visit with them, talk with them, listen to them, hold their hands and make them laugh because we can. My Dad taught me that. He never really said it but that is what he taught us.

No comments:

Post a Comment